H4 Visa for Dependent Family Members

H-4 Visa Attorney in Princeton, NJ

America is known for where different families gather and strengthen their relationships, culture, and bonds. Dependent family members of H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and H-3 visa holders may enter the country with an H-4 visa, allowing them to visit their primary visa holder or to reunite with them. 

If you have a friend, spouse, or family member residing in the United States and want to be with them, the business immigration lawyers of Inderjit K. Sidhu, Esq. LLC can help you! 

We help our clients to achieve the American Dream. We provide real-time solutions to any immigration issues. We also handle each case with complete care and attention that can give you confidence throughout the legal process. 

One move can make a difference. Secure your H-4 Visa with us today. Call us for a free 15-minute consultation! 

Why Do I Need An H-4 Visa Attorney in Princeton, NJ?

The reality of US immigration is that many potential immigrants are unsure of everything that must be done during the process. This lack of awareness becomes a barrier to entry and lawful residency. 

The following are reasons why you should need an attorney when it comes to dealing with immigration matters: 

  • They will ensure the information you will provide will be free from errors. The paperwork can be complex, and you might make errors without legal assistance. 
  • They can handle any immigration case with ease. Immigration is known for complex laws, so having one on your side can give you peace of mind. 
  • Your attorney is your ally. They can help you get a work visa, permanent US residence, and other immigration matters. They will help you gather forms and supporting evidence, and they will help you submit it. 
  • They will thoroughly evaluate your case and identify any problems that can arise later. 
  • They will help speed up the process, protect your rights, and will help you appeal your petition. 

You are now one step closer to being with your loved ones. Our seasoned immigration attorney can help you change your life. Contact our immigration law firm today! 

What is an H-4 Visa?

Dependents of H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and H-3 visa holders are granted the H4 visa. Spouses and unmarried children are considered dependents. 

With an H4 dependant visa, you can:

  • Work by submitting an Employment Authorization application
  • Get a driving license
  • Attend school
  • Create US bank accounts

Our competent immigration lawyers successfully served clients to file an H-4 visa. Visit us now to secure your H-4 visa with us today!

What are the Qualifications for H-4 Visa? 

The H4 dependent visa is available to dependent relatives of H-type visa holders. Dependents include spouses and children under the age of 21 who are not married qualify for this type of visa. 

However, if your child is above 21 and depends on you in any way, they are not qualified for an H4 visa. Additionally, if your child entered the country with you on an H4 visa, they will need to switch to a different non-immigration status once they become 21 to stay in the country, such as an F-1 student visa or a visitor visa.

If a member of your family owns a valid H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, or H-3 visa, you may apply for an H4 visa. The H4 visa holder has 60 days to look into alternative visa options if the primary visa holder loses their job while on an H-1B visa.

It would help if you had an attorney who ensures that the requirements and documents are free from error to heighten your chances for a successful H-4 visa application. Contact us now!

What are the Requirements for an H-4 Visa? 

Make sure you have the following documents before you start the H4 visa application process:

  • Income tax return of the principal (if they are already working in the US)
  • Copy of spouse or parent’s passport
  • Payslips from the H-type visa holder’s current place of work
  • Copy of the principal H visa

Supporting Documents 

Supporting documentation is also necessary to further show that the dependent family member is the spouse or child of the primary H-type visa holder. These records could consist of the following:

    • Birth certificate 
    • Wedding invitation card
    • Marriage certificate
    • Wedding photo album

Our Inderjit K. Sidhu, Esq. LLC. Princeton immigration attorneys in New Jersey can help you gather all the forms and documents. We will be with you in every step of the legal process. Call us today! 

What is the Application Process for an H-4 Visa? 

The following are the procedures for an H-4 visa application: 

  • The process typically begins when the USCIS approves the lead applicant’s petition. When an H-1B beneficiary’s petition is approved, their dependents may submit an online DS-160 application for nonimmigrant visas.
  • For an H4 visa, you must pay $190 for the application fee. Take note of the confirmation that the form is complete and that you have received payment.
  • You should schedule an interview session with the US embassy in your home country or USCIS if you are in the US after completing the DS-160. After doing this, you will receive a letter of confirmation. 
  • Show up for your interview on time, along with the proper documents. You will be asked a few questions during the interview to evaluate whether you will be given an H-4 visa.
  • You must proceed to the final stage of the application procedure (visa stamping) if you have received an authorization notice regarding your H4 visa application.

The application process is more challenging than it seems, and you might encounter problems along the way. Our top immigration attorney can help make the application process easier and more efficient. Contact us today! 

What are the Questions Asked in an H-4 Visa Interview? 

An officer will interrogate you about several things before approving your H-4 visa. 

You might expect the following questions:

  • Who is sponsoring your H4 visa? 
  • Who will support you financially in the US?
  • How long have you been married?
  • Where do you plan to live in the US?
  • How do you meet your spouse?
  • Is your marriage registered?
  • When is your spouse’s birthday?

At Inderjit K. Sidhu, Esq. LLC, our immigration lawyers can help you prepare for the following questions that can secure your H-4 visa. Visit us today for legal help!

Can I Get a Job with an H4 Visa? 

The answer is no. Holders on H-4 visas are prohibited from engaging in any type of employment, including self-employment and freelance work. If that person works while not authorized, they will violate immigration law and may be subject to consequences, such as losing their visa.

Holders of H-4 visas may seek an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) in the US. The dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants are required to have an H4 visa to work in the country. The following are the requirements: 

  • The primary beneficiary of an authorized Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, must be a holder of an H-1B visa.
  • The H-1B visa was extended past the six-year maximum under the rules of AC21 immigration law, and the H-1B visa holder is making an application for a green card.

Our immigration attorneys are committed to helping individuals secure their H-4 visas. We will ensure to submit all the requirements that are best for your needs. Call us today!  

What is an Employment Authorization Document?

Regardless of citizenship or country of origin, American companies must verify that each employee is qualified to work in the country. Being a holder of an Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766/EAD) is one way to show that you have permission to work in the US for a set amount of time.

Steps to Preparing an H-4 EAD Application 

The following are the steps on how to prepare for getting an H-4 EAD application: 

    • The H-1B worker’s spouse is expected to complete Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and submit it to the relevant USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) office along with any necessary supporting documentation.

Once you completed the form, you have to bring the following: 

    • Marriage documentation for H-1B and H-4 visa holders
    • A copy of the most recent Form I-797, Form I-539, or Form I-94 may serve as proof of H4 status.
    • Passport-sized photograph of the dependent
    • Any other government-issued photo ID, such as a national identity document
    • Proof of the most recent extension authorized for the H-1B visa holder

Any employer may hire you full- or part-time with an H4 work permit. You have more freedom in choosing employers than someone with an H-1B visa.

 If the USCIS accepts your Form I-765, you must first get an Employment Authorization Document (EAD/Form I-766) from the USCIS before you start working.

It is also important to note that there is a $410 filing fee for EAD. Biometrics could cost you an extra $85 in total.

Can I Renew My EAD?

The answer is yes. You can renew if your work authorization status expires. However, you can only apply for a renewal EAD 180 days at most after the original EAD expires, so you should do this before it does. Along with your other documents, you will need your most recent EAD and a copy of your passport’s biometric page for renewal.

Our competent immigration lawyer can help you prepare your EAD. Contact us today for legal counsel!

Call our Princeton Immigration Lawyers Now!

The Inderjit K. Sidhu, Esq. LLC. firm can assist spouses and children of H-visa holders to get approved for an H-4 Visa. We can help you deal with more legal matters like specialized immigration, changing your visa status, and obtaining a work visa or a green card. Our seasoned US business immigration attorneys assist our clients in fulfilling their dreams and living the American Dream! Our immigration law practice is committed to offering high-quality immigration services without compromising the interests of our clients. We constantly create innovative solutions that have the potential to change your life because we want immigration to be the right choice for you. We handle any immigration matter with care. Call us for a free 15-minute consultation, or visit our law office in Princeton, NJ!